Sunday, April 26, 2009

Coffee, God, and Vinegar

It's Sunday, and I'm here drinking one of my few remaining cups of Komodo Dragon Decaf. Starbucks, in a strategic effort to alienate one of their most devoted customers, discontinued it months ago. As soon as I got word, I bought as much as my freezer could hold. I have 1.125 pounds left.

Coffee is proof that there's a Higher Power out there. One could rhapsodize endlessly about why coffee is evidence of God and what coffee teaches us about the Divine Nature. But, maybe sometimes God just wants to be loved, not analyzed. So, for now, I'll sip my coffee and be thankful.

Vinegar also made me happy today. While brewing the coffee, I noticed that one of my pans had gotten that weird green film that builds up from hard water interacting with broccoli. And, its glass lid had gotten cloudy. So, I got out the vinegar and a washcloth and began scrubbing away. The vinegar turned green and cloudy as the pan turned silver and shiny. Beautiful.

Then the label on the vinegar caught my eye. It said that it was good for cleaning stainless steel -- which I'd been doing. But, somehow this reminded me that my almost new stainless steel flatware was getting tarnished. So, I got out the most offending knife & rubbed a little vinegar on it. Magic.

I would have cleaned the rest, but the coffee was done brewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment