Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Tale of Two Dulcimers

Some folks have been asking how my new (used) Masterworks differs from my older Dusty Strings. I think they were just being polite. But, in case anyone really wants to know, here it is: A mostly non-technical description of the differences between the two dulcimers.

The first thing you notice are the visual things: The Dusty Strings is a light birch. The Masterworks is mahogany and cherry. The Masterworks is a lot prettier, with rounded edges, a thicker body, and generally more craftsmanship details.

The Masterworks has more notes, too. 5 more, to be exact. That will let me play more tunes, though I have by no means exhausted the list of tunes that could be played on my Dusty Strings. Still, it's nice to know that if I get a hankering to learn "Masters in This Hall" this Christmas, I won't have to retune my right treble D to a D#.


Of course, more notes means more tuning. The Masterworks takes me about an hour to hour and a quarter, instead of 45 minutes. Part of that is the new one hadn't been tuned in several months. As it gets used to getting tuned, it'll let me go about it faster. Also, the Masterworks has tuning pins on both sides. I've had years of handling the tuning wrench exclusively with my right hand, and the pick exclusively with my left. Becoming ambidextrous at tuning will take some getting used to.

The big difference is in how they sound: The Masterworks is a lot more resonant. It has a richer, warmer, fuller sound. And the sustain goes on forever. Compared to the Masterworks, the Dusty Strings sounds a bit plinky.

Of course, when you're not comparing them, the Dusty Strings is still a fine instrument. I'm definitely looking forward to taking it to work to replace the Dusty Strings 12/11 that I have there.

And, what'll become of the Dusty Strings 12/11 at work? Alas, going into that would make this a tale of three dulcimers. All I can say for sure is that Banjo Bob has first right of refusal on it.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard a Masterworks, but it sounds like you really like it! Is your Dusty Strings a 15/14? Mine is and I love its' sound. It's hard to imagine a prettier sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dusty Strings is a 16/15. I also had a 12/11. The 12/11 was harder to tune but had a prettier sound than the 16/15.

    My former teacher prefered Dusty Strings to Masterworks. She thought there was too much sustain. And, for some tunes, that's probably true. I've given a few folks a "taste test", and they like the Masterworks.

    Funny how much of a difference the hammers make. Regardless of which dulcimer I'm on, if I want the most dramatic sound I can get, I go for my purple heart hammers I bought from Dennis Roland just before the fires of '03.

    ReplyDelete